Traditionally, WooCommerce has been used to create online stores for B2C and retail stores. However, it’s entirely possible to use the ecommerce platform to set up a WooCommerce B2B store.
WooCommerce Business to Business
At the bare minimum, you need your WooCommerce B2B store to let you:
- Create multiple pricing levels
- Offer multi-tiered, role-based pricing
- Apply different types of discounts
- Show (or hide) specific products from specific customers or types of customers
The easiest way to set up a WooCommerce B2B store is by using a plugin, like the WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle.
In this complete guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about WooCommerce B2B and show you how to set up your WooCommerce B2B store.
Let’s put everything into context before we begin.
Can you use WooCommerce to build a B2B store?
The short answer is Yes. WooCommerce, when paired with the right WooCommerce B2B plugin, is perfect for creating a B2B store.
As a business owner, you might consider creating a WooCommerce B2B store if you want to sell products to business to business customers and retail customers.
For example, you might sell clothes, shoes, appliances, or sports equipment to retail customers through your B2C-facing site and have a separate section for B2B customers who purchase products in bulk.
This means that you’d need your WooCommerce B2B store to support features that make it possible to sell to different types of customers. More specifically, you would need the ability to:
- Create multiple pricing levels for different types of customers
- Offer multi-tiered, role-based pricing to buyers
- Apply different types of discounts e.g. percentage-based discounts and fixed discounts
- Set multiple prices for products
- Show (or hide) products and content from specific customers or types of customers
- Approve users when they register as B2B buyers
Check out our step-by-step guide to WooCommerce wholesale stores for more information on the different features you need in a WooCommerce B2B store.
WooCommerce B2B plugin for building a B2B and B2C store
Now, you might be wondering why you need a WooCommerce B2B plugin to power your store.
WooCommerce is a flexible and extendable ecommerce solution for WordPress. It offers several neat features out of the box which makes it possible for business owners to sell online. For example, it lets you add products to your store, configure payment and shipping options, and track customer orders.
However, the WooCommerce plugin doesn’t pack essential B2B features such as the option to create multiple pricing levels or offering role-based pricing to customers. For this, you need a specialized WooCommerce B2B plugin, like WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle.
WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle combines two powerful plugins – WooCommerce Members Only plugin and WooCommerce Fees and Discounts plugin – to help you set up a WooCommerce B2B store.
Some of the key features on offer with the plugin bundle include:
- Build a WooCommerce B2B store. WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle is the easiest way to build a WooCommerce B2B store. It packs everything you need to sell products to both B2B and B2C customers from a single online store.
- Choose to approve user registrations. You can require B2B buyers to register on your online store and approve (or reject) each user registration. This makes it easy to keep track of B2B buyers and opens up incredible opportunities for marketing personalization.
- Decide who can see your products. If you’re selling to both B2B and B2C customers, you might want to make certain products available to certain types of users. For example, you might want to sell denim fabric in bulk to your B2B customers only.
- Create multiple pricing levels. Combining bulk discounts and user roles to create multiple pricing levels is essential for WooCommerce B2B stores. Put simply, it lets you set up tiered pricing or volume-based pricing to incentivize customers to buy more from you. This is a great way to increase your average order value.
How to build a WooCommerce B2B store
To build a WooCommerce B2B store, you’ll need the WooCommerce plugin and the WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle.
Here’s what you need to do to build your own WooCommerce B2B store:
Step #1: Create WooCommerce B2B and B2C user roles
If you’re like most business to business store owners, you want to be able to sell to both B2B and B2C buyers. For this, you’ll need to create a separate area for your B2B buyers.
The key benefit of creating multiple user roles for your WooCommerce B2B store is that it gives you more flexibility in terms of how you present your products and prices. For example, you can choose to show (or hide) certain products from certain types of customers. Or, you can display different prices for different types of customers.
The first thing you need to do is create two user roles, one for your B2B buyers and another for B2C buyers.
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Members Only > User roles.
- Select the ‘Customer’ user role from the ‘User roles’ option.
- Enter a name for your new role, e.g. ‘B2B Buyer’.
- Click ‘Duplicate role’.
Repeat the same steps for creating the ‘B2C Buyer’ user role.
Bonus: Let users choose their user role during registration
One of the neat features on offer with the WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle is that it gives you the option to let users choose their user role at the time of registration. You can do this by adding an extra field in your registration form. This way, the user can select the user role they’d like to register for.
Here’s what you need to do to add a user role field to the WooCommerce registration form:
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Members Only > Registration.
- Tick the checkbox next to the ‘Enable Roles Field’ option.
- Using the ‘Registration Roles’ option, choose which roles to include in the role selection field by checking the role in the ‘Include’ column.
As a bonus, if you want to be able to approve some roles but allow other user roles to be registered immediately, tick the checkbox next to that user role in the ‘Needs Approval’ column.
Check out our complete guide to WooCommerce user roles for more information and ideas on advanced ways to use them.
Step #2: Enable B2B user approvals
Depending on the type of WooCommerce B2B store you’re running, you might need a way to enable B2B user approvals. This way, you can easily keep track of your B2B customers and better manage customer relationships.
WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle makes this incredibly easy with its WooCommerce Members Only plugin.
Here’s what you need to do to enable B2B user approvals:
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Members Only > Registration.
- Tick the checkbox next to the ‘Enable User Approval’ option.
That’s it! Now, whenever a new B2B user registers for an account, you’ll get an email prompting you to either approve or reject their registration. For more details, check out our article on WooCommerce user approvals.
Step #3: Configure pricing rules for B2B and B2C user roles
As a WooCommerce B2B store owner, selling products to both B2B and B2C customers becomes a whole lot easier when you set multiple pricing levels. The key benefit of setting multiple pricing levels is that you don’t have to add the same product to your store twice – once with prices for B2B buyers and another time for your B2C customers.
With the WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle, you can configure two different price adjustment types:
- Percentage Discount. This is useful for offering WooCommerce B2B customers a percentage discount on all products. For example, you could offer a 10% discount to your B2B buyers.
- Fixed Discount. This option lets you offer customers a fixed amount off the total price of a product. For example, you could set this to $25 to give B2B buyers a $25 discount.
Here’s what you need to do to configure pricing rules for B2B and B2C user roles:
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Fees and Discounts.
- In the ‘General’ tab, make sure the checkbox next to the ‘Enable User Role Pricing’ option is ticked.
- Go to the ‘User Role Pricing’ tab.
- Set percentage or fixed discounts for each user role.
To step it up a notch, you can also configure pricing rules for your B2B and B2C buyers on a per-product basis. Head over to our WooCommerce user role pricing tutorial to learn more. Or, check out our article on WooCommerce tiered pricing for more ideas on how to increase your order value.
Step #4: Offer bulk discounts to WooCommerce B2B customers
In addition to configuring differing pricing rules for different types of customers, you can also offer bulk discount pricing to incentivize B2B buyers to buy more from you. Offering two discounts – one based on their user role and a second based on the quantity/units of products they purchase – is a great way to boost sales.
Here’s what you need to do to create bulk discounts:
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Fees and Discounts > Dynamic Pricing.
- Click ‘Add Rule’ and select ‘Bulk Pricing’ in ‘Offer type’.
- Add as many tiers as you need for your pricing rules using the ‘Tiers’ option.
In addition to this, you can also select which products to apply bulk discounts to. To do this, simply use the ‘Applies to’ option to apply bulk discounts to all products, specific products, or specific product categories.
WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle lets you set either a percentage discount or a fixed discount for each new tier you create. Finally, you can choose to display a bulk discount table on your store’s front-end that shows the product price for each tier.
Check out our tutorial on WooCommerce discounts for more ideas on how to create quantity-based pricing rules for your B2B store.
Bonus: Prevent non-logged in users from making purchases
There are tons of reasons why you might want to prevent non-logged in users from making purchases. Think of it this way: by requiring users to log in, you can easily:
- Keep track of which users bought which items and when.
- Bulk a loyal customer base and build an email list.
- Encourage B2B customers to buy more from you.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Members Only.
- Set the ‘Restriction Method’ option to ‘Log In Status’ using the dropdown.
This way, whenever a prospective customer lands on your WooCommerce B2B store, they’ll be able to see the products in your shop but they won’t be able to add any to their cart without logging in first.
Bonus: Other ways to sell to WooCommerce B2B customers
It’s also worth mentioning that you can use the WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle in a multitude of different ways to enhance your WooCommerce B2B offering:
For example, you can offer bulk discounts for B2B customers if you’d like to keep things simple. This is great for store owners that cater exclusively to B2B buyers. All you have to do is create some pricing rules that apply discounts to products on bulk purchases.
Check out this step-by-step tutorial for instructions on how to set this up.
Alternatively, you can create a private B2B area on your site which allows you to hide business to business products from your retail customers. This approach is perfect for store owners that sell different products to B2B buyers and B2C customers, and those that only sell a handful of products.
For more information, check out these step-by-step instructions on how to set this up.
Build your WooCommerce B2B store
The right WooCommerce B2B plugin makes it incredibly easy to create a B2B store using WooCommerce. Using WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle, you can build a WooCommerce B2B store that:
- Lets you sell to both B2B and B2C customers.
- Enable user approvals for your B2B buyers.
- Configure pricing rules for B2B and B2C user roles.
- Offer bulk discounts to your B2B customers based on the quantity/units of products they purchase.
Ready to start building your WooCommerce B2B store? Get the WooCommerce Wholesale Plugin Bundle today!