Would you like the ability in WooCommerce to add multiple products to the cart at once? The Products Add-Ons Ultimate plugin lets you include other products as extra options to your product page meaning that your customers can add multiple products to their cart in one hit. You can use simple or variable products.
WooCommerce ‘add multiple products to cart at once’ plugin
The Pro version of the WooCommerce Product Add Ons Ultimate plugin has a ‘Child Products’ field. This gives you the ability to specify other products as add-ons to a product – which means that your customers can add multiple products to their cart from a single product page.
Take a look at the screenshot of an example product below. You can see that the main product is for a woman’s top. Within the product page is a section called ‘Complete the Look’ which offers customers the ability to add similar items along with the main product.
You can view a working demo version of this product here.
Top three benefits of bulk add to cart products
By giving your customers the opportunity to add multiple products at once, you can:
- Increase profitability by making it easier for your customers to purchase more items. It’s far more powerful than standard WooCommerce upsells and cross-sells because the customer can add the extra products to the cart direct from the parent product page rather than having to click through to another product page.
- Track inventory for add-on items: when a customer adds a child product to the cart as an add-on to the parent product, your stock figures will be adjusted correctly. If an item is out of stock, WooCommerce Product Add Ons Ultimate will disable it as an add-on – so you don’t have to worry about manually managing stock.
- Calculate shipping rates correctly: because you’re using actual products, WooCommerce is able to calculate shipping correctly by using the add-on products’ weight and size.
WooCommerce child products field
WooCommerce Product Add Ons Ultimate allows you to include custom fields in your WooCommerce products, like text fields, date fields, dropdowns, checkboxes and radio buttons. The Pro version also allows you to include ‘child’ products as add-ons within your ‘parent’ product.
How to set up the WooCommerce multiple add to cart plugin
Take a look at the setting below. This shows how easy it is to add additional products to a main product page.
You can add the Products field in exactly the same way as you would add any other field with Add-Ons Ultimate. There’s easy to follow documentation here. But, in brief:
- Edit the product where you want to allow users to add multiple products at once
- In the Product Add-Ons panel add a new ‘Products’ field (as per the screenshot above)
- Enter the products you’d like to display on the product page in the ‘Child Products’ field
Now, when you publish the product, you’ll have multiple products on the same page.
Let’s take a look at some of the additional features the plugin provides.
You have five layout options: checkboxes, radio and select:
- Checkboxes let you add one or more child products as an addon field. The customer can select multiple child products within the field that will get added to the cart.
- Column displays the products in a single column. This option allows you to use variable products – all the variations will be displayed in a select field
- Radio buttons allow you to add one or more child products as an addon field, just like the checkboxes layout, though in the case of radio buttons the customer can only select one child product from the field.
- Select lets you add your child products as a dropdown field.
- Swatches displays variation images as swatches
When you use the checkboxes or radio layouts, WooCommerce Product Add Ons Ultimate will pull through the product image, name and price. When you use select, WooCommerce Product Add Ons Ultimate will only display the product name and price.
With checkboxes and radio layouts, you can specify the number of columns to display your child products in. With select, you can enter some placeholder text to act as an instruction within the select field itself.
You have three options for specifying quantities:
- Independent: when you specify a product add-on field’s quantity as independent, the customer will be able to purchase as many of the child product as they wish, regardless of how many of the parent product they’ve chosen
- Linked: when you specify the quantity as linked, the quantity of the child product added to the cart will always be the same as the quantity of the parent product
- One-only: when you specify the quantity as one-only, then only one child product can be added to the cart, regardless of how many of the parent product has been added
Minimum and Maximum child products
Using these two options you can specify a minimum and/or maximum number of products that can be selected. You can see this being used in this case study on creating mixed wine cases in WooCommerce.
Discount and Discount Type
You can offer discounts to your customers if they add multiple products to their cart from the page. Select the discount type (either fixed fee or percentage).
Example use cases
You can use adding multiple products to the cart at once in a number of different ways. Here are some example use cases:
If you’d like to be able to allow your customers to assemble their own spec, you can create a parent product then add your graphics cards, processors, screens, keyboards, etc as child products.
Skateboards are a popular online customisable product. You can easily allow your customers to build their own board by creating a parent product with multiple child products for the deck, trucks, wheels, decals, and any other option you’d like to include.
From food hampers to beauty products, gift boxes are the archetypal customisable product. You can use standard extra fields like dropdowns to specify things like the box size and wrapping, then add child product fields for the contents of the box.
In the example above, the Gift Box is a single product that uses several child product fields. When they buy the gift box, the customer is in fact adding multiple products to their cart at the same time.
Each product is a standalone product in its own right so you can track inventory and be certain that the shipping rates are calculated correctly.
You can also find out more about adding a gift wrapping option to your products here.
Complete the Look
‘Complete the look’ or ‘shop the look’ are used to encourage your customers to make additional purchases, often by fashion and clothing retailers.
For example, in your product image for a shirt, the model may also be wearing jeans, shoes and jewelry that is available elsewhere on your site. Using the child products field, you can offer these additional items for sale direct from one product page.
You can easily create a takeaway menu in WooCommerce using the child products field. Create each of your meal options as products, e.g. all starters, mains, salads, sides, etc, then create a product for the takeaway menu itself.
Add each meal option as a child product so that you customer can easily choose their entire menu from one page. This is a prime example of how to add multiple products to the cart at once in WooCommerce.
Find out more about WooCommerce takeaway order forms here.
What else can you do with Product Add-Ons Ultimate?
So, as I’ve mentioned already, the WooCommerce Product Add-Ons Ultimate plugin does far more than just give you the ability to add multiple products to the cart. It allows you to create fully customisable products for your customers.
You can find out more about WooCommerce Product Add Ons Ultimate by clicking on the image below: