Whether you’re running a boutique fashion outlet or a tech-centric emporium, integrating add-ons can significantly elevate your online store’s appeal.
Product add-ons provide WooCommerce store owners with opportunities to create personalized shopping experiences for their customers. This way, shoppers can fully personalize and create unique products before adding them to their cart.
Imagine providing customers with the option to add a touch of elegance by selecting gift wrap for their purchases, or granting them the freedom to personalize products according to their preferences. These possibilities are made tangible through the utilization of add-ons in WooCommerce. And the best part? You don’t need to be a coding wizard to make it happen.
Since WooCommerce by default doesn’t let you add product add-ons, store owners can use plugins to easily incorporate this functionality into their sites. Plugins not only simplify the processing of adding add-ons to your site but also fit well into your workflow and (most of the time) will be compatible with your theme. This ensures you don’t encounter design issues on your WordPress site.
We’ve compared some of the best plugins out there and created a guide you can use to figure out which WooCommerce product plugin will work best for your shop.
Top WooCommerce product add-on plugins for 2023
Let’s go over the best WooCommerce product add-on plugins so it’s easier for you to pick the right one for your online store.
The WooCommerce Product Add-Ons Ultimate plugin is perfect for shops that are looking to offer a variety of product add-ons and shop owners seeking a high level of product customization options to offer to their customers. The plugin provides the capability to generate a wide array of products, ranging from print-on-demand items to composite and multi-step products, among others. Here’s an illustrative example of utilizing the plugin to craft a print-on-demand product.
For a better idea of how well the WooCommerce Product Add-Ons Ultimate plugin works for store owners and businesses, check out this case study on the BonBon Boys, but first, let’s explore the plugin’s key features below:
- You have a wide range of add-ons to choose from when adding extra options to your WooCommerce products. You can showcase different product personalization options in text fields, number fields, checkboxes, radio buttons, select fields, image upload fields, and even advanced fields like name-your-price fields, color pickers, and date pickers. With the pro plan, you get a total of 16 add-on field options with the latter. On top of basic field add-ons, you get access to all extra field types including the calculation field, checkbox groups, image swatches, and product and product categories fields. Check out this example which features a wide range of the different add-on fields available in the plugin:
- The WooCommerce Product Add-Ons Ultimate plugin also comes pre-built with conditional logic functionality. This means you can show or hide extra fields for your products based on the selection your customers make. For instance, when the “Add a gift card” checkbox field is selected, a text field will appear that lets users enter their greetings. When a customer makes their choice, new fields will appear showcasing hidden product options that otherwise might not be relevant to your users. The Pro tier plan also offers advanced conditional logic options such as the ability to show or hide fields based on the cost of products in the customer’s cart. For more information on this, you can go over our guide on conditional product options and add-ons in WooCommerce.
- One risk of assigning too many extra add-ons to a product is that the product page might look messy and overwhelming. With, WooCommerce Products Add-Ons Ultimate Pro you can mitigate this by organizing fields into groups and displaying them in layout styles such as tabs or accordions.
- The plugin lets you set pricing rules around add-ons. You can assign a cost per field/add-on (for example, if you own a coffee shop you can increase the price if a customer adds a flavoring, whipped cream, oat milk, etc.); and with text fields, you can even add a price per character (which is ideal for print-on-demand stores). On the other hand, you’re also able to assign negative pricing as a way of offering discounts to customers to incentivize them to make purchases. With the pro plan, you can also add a percentage price instead of fixed prices.
- You have the option to set add-ons on individual products, or you can create global fields and assign them to multiple products or categories which saves time for you as you set up products in the backend.
Product Add-Ons by WooCommerce is the official WooCommerce extension that’s designed to let you add extra options to your shop’s products.
It’s a solid option for users who are just starting out with WooCommerce and are interested in staying in their ecosystem or considering investing in WooExpress, WooCommerce’s all-in-one ecommerce plan.
- You can display product color or sizing options using image swatches for customizable products.
- With custom pricing options, store owners can price extra product add-ons or fields by charging a flat fee or a percentage-based fee.
- Product Add-Ons by WooCommerce lets you display checkboxes for showcasing extra product options. This makes your product look more attractive and offers a user-friendly shopping experience. Additionally, you can also add dropdown menus to list product options neatly on single product pages.
- All product add-on fields or options can either be added globally on your WooCommerce site or to individual products that require special customization options.
The WooCommerce Addons by Product Hive is another WooCommerce product plugin that’s designed to let you offer a wide variety of options for your products.
With add-on fields created using the plugin, store owners can offer product personalization options in many unique ways that help enhance the shopping experience for customers.
- You can set up extra product options using add-on fields such as dropdowns, checkboxes, and text-based fields.
- Using flexible add-on pricing functionality, you charge your customers when they select extra product options on single product pages.
- The robust plugin also lets you create date picker fields that can be useful for setting up bookable products or for letting shoppers select a delivery date.
- Additionally, you can also include phone number boxes on single product pages to easily grab contact information from customers before they add the product to their cart and proceed to the checkout page.
The Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce by Studio Wombat is a highly customizable and user-friendly WooCommerce product plugin.
It’s a great option for store owners that want an affordable and professional WooCommerce product plugin to set up extra product options.
- The Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce plugin has three pricing tiers. This makes it a flexible option for store owners who may need more or fewer features.
- You can add advanced content fields such as HTML boxes, user images, and shortcodes to display custom content on single product pages.
- Conditional logic functionality enables store owners to hide or show fields based on customers’ selections from previous fields. This is a great way to remove clutter from product pages and enhance the user experience on your online store.
- You can price your add-on fields by specifying a fixed fee, quantity-based fee, or percentage-based fee. You can even add complex pricing schemes such as formula-based pricing to calculate the final price of your WooCommerce products.
- The extended version of Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce has even more field types and the bundle features 6 extra add-ons.
Product Addons by Acowebs is a free-to-use WooCommerce product plugin that lets you add custom add-on fields to your shop’s products.
With a free and premium version, it’s a solid choice for store owners who are just starting out and don’t need all the features now but may want to expand later down the line.
- The free version of the plugin lets you create custom fields for things like customer notes, engraving text, or for grabbing the contact information of your customers. While the features are fairly limited in the free version, you still have access to field types like radio buttons, checkbox fields, color fields, date fields, as well as password-protected fields.
- The premium version supports much more advanced field types including custom price fields, price formula fields, file upload fields, color group fields, image-based selection fields, as well as a products field.
The Extra Product Options & Add-Ons for WooCommerce by Theme Complete is a feature-rich, professional plugin that’s slightly more technical than other plugins mentioned in our list.
This makes it a good fit for store owners who are tech-savvy and want a lot of features out of the box to create customizable product experiences for customers.
- Extra Product Options & Add-Ons for WooCommerce features a control panel that lets you manage all extra options for your WooCommerce products in one place.
- You can set up extra options like checkbox fields or drop-down fields and display or hide options based on user roles.
- Additionally, you can display extra options added using the plugin in multiple pre-designed layouts that help add to the shopping experience of your online store.
Personalized Product Field Manager by Themeisle is another solid WooCommerce product plugin that lets you display add-ons for your WooCommerce products.
The free version allows store owners to test drive the plugin first and commit to the premium, feature-rich version that has more options and support once they are ready.
- You can use Personalized Product Fields Manager to add various types of fields to your WooCommerce products such as super lists, image buttons, quantities, color palettes, date range fields, and font picker fields.
- The free version of the plugin only has 9 field types while the pro version has over 30 field types to choose from.
- You also have the option to use conditional logic to hide or show fields based on other field values or your customer’s selections.
The Extra Product Options for WooCommerce plugin by ThemeHigh is designed with developers and technical users in mind.
It’s a developer-friendly option that’s a good fit for someone with technical know-how in coding and WooCommerce plugins.
- It lets you add extra product options using various field types and you can also modify the “add to cart” button text on your product pages. This makes it easier to create product pages.
- You can also fully customize your cart page to better suit your WooCommerce product with extra or customizable add-ons.
- Lets you create pages in multiple languages so you can cater to customers from all over the globe.
Booster for WooCommerce is not a single WooCommerce product plugin but is a bundle of multiple WooCommerce tools.
While you have fewer add-on options with a solution like Booster, it still offers more features overall. Unfortunately, it isn’t cost-effective for shops that don’t require the extra functionality or don’t want to use the full suite of Booster products.
- You can create basic checkboxes and text-based fields to display extra product options on your WooCommerce site. That’s basically all the functionality Booster offers for setting up extra product options on your online store.
- However, the plugin integrates with the rest of the Booster “modules” that can be useful for many things like invoicing, inventory tracking, setting up payment gateways, and email marketing strategies.
Flexible Product Fields by WP Desk lets you offer customizable product options to your shoppers.
The Flexible Product Fields plugin is the perfect solution for brands that are looking for a straightforward product field customizer with priority support at higher price tiers.
- You have the option to choose from multiple field types including dropdowns, radio buttons, and checkboxes when customizing your WooCommerce products.
- You have full control over how additional fields for products are set up and the ability to make fields required or optional.
- The robust plugin also lets you charge either a fixed or percentage-based price for WooCommerce custom fields added to your products.
- The plugin’s higher pricing tier offers more features such as imports for dropshipping.
Improved Product Options for WooCommerce is another worthy mention in our list of top product add-on plugins.
It’s an intuitive solution that not only lets you add product add-on options but also comes pre-built with highly functional features like backorder notifications and inventory management.
- You can control stock for customizable products which prevents customers from selecting unavailable products.
- You can also rearrange products on your single product pages to showcase the best ones first.
- Additionally, the Improved Product Options plugin is fully compatible with all templates.
Get started with our top WooCommerce product plugin
In our exploration of plugins to enhance product offerings, we’ve examined several options. Our top recommendation is the WooCommerce Product Add-Ons Ultimate plugin, which stands out for its exceptional versatility and capabilities.
This plugin boasts a wide range of add-on fields, making it easy to cater to various customer preferences and personalize the shopping experience. Its use of conditional logic adds sophistication, enabling dynamic interactions between choices and enhancing user engagement. Moreover, the plugin presents additional options in a clear and organized manner, ensuring a seamless customer journey.
A standout feature is its ability to manage pricing for add-ons, affording businesses precise control over costs while accommodating diverse customization levels. The WooCommerce Product Add-Ons Ultimate plugin offers a comprehensive solution that blends flexibility, aesthetics, and functionality seamlessly. For businesses seeking to elevate their offerings through unparalleled customization, this plugin stands as the ultimate choice.
Ready to start adding product add-ons to your WooCommerce site? Get WooCommerce Product Add-Ons Ultimate today!